New to the CAZy classification? Read this first.
Want to learn more about CAZypedia? Read the CAZypedia 10th anniversary article in Glycobiology.
User:Maher Abou Hachem
I have received my PhD from Lund University in 2003, where I described the first xylan-specific CBM4 from a GH10 thermostable xylanase . I moved to the other side of the Øresund canal to start a post-doc at the Carlsberg Research Center in the laboratory of Professor ^^^Birte Svensson^^^ in Copenhagen, working on barley α-amylases and other GH13 enzymes. Thereafter, I moved to the Technical University of Denmark, where I am a Professor MSO at the the Department of Biotechnology and Bioengineering, since 2018. I have been fascianted by fungal enzymes, especially oxidoreductases secreted during growth on polysaccharides . Most of my research has, however, been focused on understanding the protein machinery, especially oligosaccharide transporters, conferring glycan utilisation by members of the human gut microbiota including lactobacilli , bifidobacteria [4, 5, 6] and clostridia [7, 8].
- Abou Hachem M, Nordberg Karlsson E, Bartonek-Roxâ E, Raghothama S, Simpson PJ, Gilbert HJ, Williamson MP, and Holst O. (2000). Carbohydrate-binding modules from a thermostable Rhodothermus marinus xylanase: cloning, expression and binding studies. Biochem J. 2000;345 Pt 1:53-60. | Google Books | Open Library
- Nekiunaite L, Arntzen MØ, Svensson B, Vaaje-Kolstad G, and Abou Hachem M. (2016). Lytic polysaccharide monooxygenases and other oxidative enzymes are abundantly secreted by Aspergillus nidulans grown on different starches. Biotechnol Biofuels. 2016;9(1):187. DOI:10.1186/s13068-016-0604-0 |
- Theilmann MC, Goh YJ, Nielsen KF, Klaenhammer TR, Barrangou R, and Abou Hachem M. (2017). Lactobacillus acidophilus Metabolizes Dietary Plant Glucosides and Externalizes Their Bioactive Phytochemicals. mBio. 2017;8(6). DOI:10.1128/mBio.01421-17 |
- Sakanaka M, Hansen ME, Gotoh A, Katoh T, Yoshida K, Odamaki T, Yachi H, Sugiyama Y, Kurihara S, Hirose J, Urashima T, Xiao JZ, Kitaoka M, Fukiya S, Yokota A, Lo Leggio L, Abou Hachem M, and Katayama T. (2019). Evolutionary adaptation in fucosyllactose uptake systems supports bifidobacteria-infant symbiosis. Sci Adv. 2019;5(8):eaaw7696. DOI:10.1126/sciadv.aaw7696 |
- Ejby M, Guskov A, Pichler MJ, Zanten GC, Schoof E, Saburi W, Slotboom DJ, and Abou Hachem M. (2019). Two binding proteins of the ABC transporter that confers growth of Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis ATCC27673 on β-mannan possess distinct manno-oligosaccharide-binding profiles. Mol Microbiol. 2019;112(1):114-130. DOI:10.1111/mmi.14257 |
- Theilmann MC, Fredslund F, Svensson B, Lo Leggio L, and Abou Hachem M. (2019). Substrate preference of an ABC importer corresponds to selective growth on β-(1,6)-galactosides in Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis. J Biol Chem. 2019;294(31):11701-11711. DOI:10.1074/jbc.RA119.008843 |
- La Rosa SL, Leth ML, Michalak L, Hansen ME, Pudlo NA, Glowacki R, Pereira G, Workman CT, Arntzen MØ, Pope PB, Martens EC, Hachem MA, and Westereng B. (2019). The human gut Firmicute Roseburia intestinalis is a primary degrader of dietary β-mannans. Nat Commun. 2019;10(1):905. DOI:10.1038/s41467-019-08812-y |
- Leth ML, Ejby M, Workman C, Ewald DA, Pedersen SS, Sternberg C, Bahl MI, Licht TR, Aachmann FL, Westereng B, and Abou Hachem M. (2018). Differential bacterial capture and transport preferences facilitate co-growth on dietary xylan in the human gut. Nat Microbiol. 2018;3(5):570-580. DOI:10.1038/s41564-018-0132-8 |