New to the CAZy classification? Read this first.
Want to learn more about CAZypedia? Read the CAZypedia 10th anniversary article in Glycobiology.
Yuichi Sakamoto is a chief researcher in the Microorganism group of the Iwate Biotechnology Research Center, Japan. He obtained his Ph. D. from the Graduate School of Hokkaidou University in 2001. He contributed to the isolation and enzymatic characterization of glycoside hydrolases belonging to families GH5, GH12, GH16, GH18, GH20, GH30, GH55 and GH128. He discovered GH128 with Naotake Konno . His research currently focuses on various carbohydrate-active enzymes acting on fungal cell walls, especially in lentinan that is a β-1,3-1,6-glucan from Lentinula edodes. Some of these enzymes are involved in fungal morphological changes.
- GH5 Lentinula edodes exo-beta-1,3-glucanase 
- GH12 Lentinula edodes endoglucanases
- GH16 Lentinula edodes mixed-linked-glucanase 
- GH18 Lentinula edodes chitinase 
- GH20 Lentinula edodes β-N-acetylhexosaminidase 
- GH30 Lentinula edodes endo-β-1,6-glucanase 
- GH55 Lentinula edodes exo-β-1,3-1,6-glucanase [7, 8]
- GH128 Lentinula edodes endo-β-1,3-1,6-glucanase 
- Sakamoto Y, Nakade K, and Konno N. (2011) Endo-β-1,3-glucanase GLU1, from the fruiting body of Lentinula edodes, belongs to a new glycoside hydrolase family. Appl Environ Microbiol. 77, 8350-4. DOI:10.1128/AEM.05581-11 |
- Sakamoto Y, Irie T, and Sato T. (2005) Isolation and characterization of a fruiting body-specific exo-beta-1,3-glucanase-encoding gene, exg1, from Lentinula edodes. Curr Genet. 47, 244-52. DOI:10.1007/s00294-005-0563-7 |
- Takeda T, Nakano Y, Takahashi M, Sakamoto Y, and Konno N. (2013) Polysaccharide-inducible endoglucanases from Lentinula edodes exhibit a preferential hydrolysis of 1,3-1,4-β-glucan and xyloglucan. J Agric Food Chem. 61, 7591-8. DOI:10.1021/jf401543m |
- Sakamoto Y, Nakade K, and Sato T. (2009) Characterization of the post-harvest changes in gene transcription in the gill of the Lentinula edodes fruiting body. Curr Genet. 55, 409-23. DOI:10.1007/s00294-009-0255-9 |
- Konno N, Takahashi H, Nakajima M, Takeda T, and Sakamoto Y. (2012) Characterization of β-N-acetylhexosaminidase (LeHex20A), a member of glycoside hydrolase family 20, from Lentinula edodes (shiitake mushroom). AMB Express. 2, 29. DOI:10.1186/2191-0855-2-29 |
- Konno N and Sakamoto Y. (2011) An endo-β-1,6-glucanase involved in Lentinula edodes fruiting body autolysis. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 91, 1365-73. DOI:10.1007/s00253-011-3295-2 |
- Sakamoto Y, Minato K, Nagai M, Mizuno M, and Sato T. (2005) Characterization of the Lentinula edodes exg2 gene encoding a lentinan-degrading exo-beta-1,3-glucanase. Curr Genet. 48, 195-203. DOI:10.1007/s00294-005-0002-9 |
- Konno N, Nakade K, Nishitani Y, Mizuno M, and Sakamoto Y. (2014) Lentinan degradation in the Lentinula edodes fruiting body during postharvest preservation is reduced by downregulation of the exo-β-1,3-glucanase EXG2. J Agric Food Chem. 62, 8153-7. DOI:10.1021/jf501578w |