CAZypedia needs your help! We have many unassigned GH, PL, CE, AA, GT, and CBM pages in need of Authors and Responsible Curators.
Scientists at all career stages, including students, are welcome to contribute to CAZypedia. Read more here, and in the 10th anniversary article in Glycobiology.
New to the CAZy classification? Read this first.
Consider attending the 15th Carbohydrate Bioengineering Meeting in Ghent, 5-8 May 2023.
Gerlind Sulzenbacher obtained her B.Sc. in Pharmacy from the University of Bologna and completed her PhD under the supervision of Keith Wilson at the University of York, where she worked with Gideon Davies, and at the EMBL Hamburg Outstation. The work focused on structural studies of glycoside hydrolases from families GH7, GH11 and GH12. In 1999 she obtained a personal EMBO fellowship to join the group of Bernard Henrissat at the CNRS laboratory Architecture et Fonction des Macromolecules Biologiques. She is currently permanent research engineer in the group of Yves Bourne at the AFMB laboratory. She has determined the crystal structures of
- GH7 Fusarium oxysporum endoglucanase [1, 2]
- GH11 Bacillus pumilus xylanase
- GH12 Streptomyces lividans endoglucanase [3, 4]
- GH29 Thermotoga maritima α-fucosidase 
- GH109 Elizabethkingia meningosepticum α-N-acetylgalactosaminidase 
- Sulzenbacher G, Driguez H, Henrissat B, Schülein M, and Davies GJ. (1996). Structure of the Fusarium oxysporum endoglucanase I with a nonhydrolyzable substrate analogue: substrate distortion gives rise to the preferred axial orientation for the leaving group. Biochemistry. 1996;35(48):15280-7. DOI:10.1021/bi961946h |
- Sulzenbacher G, Schülein M, and Davies GJ. (1997). Structure of the endoglucanase I from Fusarium oxysporum: native, cellobiose, and 3,4-epoxybutyl beta-D-cellobioside-inhibited forms, at 2.3 A resolution. Biochemistry. 1997;36(19):5902-11. DOI:10.1021/bi962963+ |
- Sulzenbacher G, Shareck F, Morosoli R, Dupont C, and Davies GJ. (1997). The Streptomyces lividans family 12 endoglucanase: construction of the catalytic cre, expression, and X-ray structure at 1.75 A resolution. Biochemistry. 1997;36(51):16032-9. DOI:10.1021/bi972407v |
- Sulzenbacher G, Mackenzie LF, Wilson KS, Withers SG, Dupont C, and Davies GJ. (1999). The crystal structure of a 2-fluorocellotriosyl complex of the Streptomyces lividans endoglucanase CelB2 at 1.2 A resolution. Biochemistry. 1999;38(15):4826-33. DOI:10.1021/bi982648i |
- Sulzenbacher G, Bignon C, Nishimura T, Tarling CA, Withers SG, Henrissat B, and Bourne Y. (2004). Crystal structure of Thermotoga maritima alpha-L-fucosidase. Insights into the catalytic mechanism and the molecular basis for fucosidosis. J Biol Chem. 2004;279(13):13119-28. DOI:10.1074/jbc.M313783200 |
- Liu QP, Sulzenbacher G, Yuan H, Bennett EP, Pietz G, Saunders K, Spence J, Nudelman E, Levery SB, White T, Neveu JM, Lane WS, Bourne Y, Olsson ML, Henrissat B, and Clausen H. (2007). Bacterial glycosidases for the production of universal red blood cells. Nat Biotechnol. 2007;25(4):454-64. DOI:10.1038/nbt1298 |