New to the CAZy classification? Read this first.
Want to learn more about CAZypedia? Read the CAZypedia 10th anniversary article in Glycobiology.
Casper Wilkens obtained his B.Sc. in Molecular Biology and Chemistry from Roskilde University under the supervision of Peter Westh and others, M.Sc. in Biochemistry from University of Copenhagen under the supervision of Leila Lo Leggio, completed his PhD under the supervision of Birte Svensson and Maher Abou Hachem in 2014 at the Department of Systems Biology, Technical University of Denmark. During his PhD Casper studied Surface Binding Sites and continued to do so during his first Post Doc at the same place. After a short Post Doc at Aalborg Univeristy Casper returned to the Technical University of Denmark and completed his third post at the Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering with Lene Lange and Anne S. Meyer. In 2018 Casper was appointed Assistant Professor at Department of Biotechnology and Biomedicine at the Technical University of Denmark. Casper's research interests concern discovery of novel carbohydrate-active enzymes and their structure-function relationships.
- Holck J, Fredslund F, Møller MS, Brask J, Krogh KBRM, Lange L, Welner DH, Svensson B, Meyer AS, and Wilkens C. (2019) A carbohydrate-binding family 48 module enables feruloyl esterase action on polymeric arabinoxylan. J Biol Chem. 294, 17339-17353. DOI:10.1074/jbc.RA119.009523 |
- Pilgaard B, Wilkens C, Herbst FA, Vuillemin M, Rhein-Knudsen N, Meyer AS, and Lange L. (2019) Proteomic enzyme analysis of the marine fungus Paradendryphiella salina reveals alginate lyase as a minimal adaptation strategy for brown algae degradation. Sci Rep. 9, 12338. DOI:10.1038/s41598-019-48823-9 |
- Holck J, Djajadi DT, Brask J, Pilgaard B, Krogh KBRM, Meyer AS, Lange L, and Wilkens C. (2019) Novel xylanolytic triple domain enzyme targeted at feruloylated arabinoxylan degradation. Enzyme Microb Technol. 129, 109353. DOI:10.1016/j.enzmictec.2019.05.010 |
- Wilkens C, Tiwari MK, Webb H, Jam M, Czjzek M, and Svensson B. (2019) Asp271 is critical for substrate interaction with the surface binding site in β-agarase a from Zobellia galactanivorans. Proteins. 87, 34-40. DOI:10.1002/prot.25614 |
- Wilkens C, Svensson B, and Møller MS. (2018) Functional Roles of Starch Binding Domains and Surface Binding Sites in Enzymes Involved in Starch Biosynthesis. Front Plant Sci. 9, 1652. DOI:10.3389/fpls.2018.01652 |
- CAZypedia Consortium. (2018) Ten years of CAZypedia: a living encyclopedia of carbohydrate-active enzymes. Glycobiology. 28, 3-8. DOI:10.1093/glycob/cwx089 |
- Wilkens C, Busk PK, Pilgaard B, Zhang WJ, Nielsen KL, Nielsen PH, and Lange L. (2017) Diversity of microbial carbohydrate-active enzymes in Danish anaerobic digesters fed with wastewater treatment sludge. Biotechnol Biofuels. 10, 158. DOI:10.1186/s13068-017-0840-y |
- Wilkens C, Andersen S, Dumon C, Berrin JG, and Svensson B. (2017) GH62 arabinofuranosidases: Structure, function and applications. Biotechnol Adv. 35, 792-804. DOI:10.1016/j.biotechadv.2017.06.005 |
- Rydahl MG, Krac Un SK, Fangel JU, Michel G, Guillouzo A, Génicot S, Mravec J, Harholt J, Wilkens C, Motawia MS, Svensson B, Tranquet O, Ralet MC, Jørgensen B, Domozych DS, and Willats WGT. (2017) Development of novel monoclonal antibodies against starch and ulvan - implications for antibody production against polysaccharides with limited immunogenicity. Sci Rep. 7, 9326. DOI:10.1038/s41598-017-04307-2 |
- Cockburn D, Wilkens C, and Svensson B. (2017) Affinity Electrophoresis for Analysis of Catalytic Module-Carbohydrate Interactions. Methods Mol Biol. 1588, 119-127. DOI:10.1007/978-1-4939-6899-2_9 |
- Cockburn D, Wilkens C, Dilokpimol A, Nakai H, Lewińska A, Abou Hachem M, and Svensson B. (2016) Using Carbohydrate Interaction Assays to Reveal Novel Binding Sites in Carbohydrate Active Enzymes. PLoS One. 11, e0160112. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0160112 |
- Wilkens C, Andersen S, Petersen BO, Li A, Busse-Wicher M, Birch J, Cockburn D, Nakai H, Christensen HEM, Kragelund BB, Dupree P, McCleary B, Hindsgaul O, Hachem MA, and Svensson B. (2016) An efficient arabinoxylan-debranching α-L-arabinofuranosidase of family GH62 from Aspergillus nidulans contains a secondary carbohydrate binding site. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 100, 6265-6277. DOI:10.1007/s00253-016-7417-8 |
- Wilkens C, Auger KD, Anderson NT, Meekins DA, Raththagala M, Abou Hachem M, Payne CM, Gentry MS, and Svensson B. (2016) Plant α-glucan phosphatases SEX4 and LSF2 display different affinity for amylopectin and amylose. FEBS Lett. 590, 118-28. DOI:10.1002/1873-3468.12027 |
- Wilkens, C., Cockburn, D., Andersen, S., Petersen, B. O., Ruzanski, C., Field, R. A., Hindsgaul, O., Nakai, H., McCleary, B., Smith, A. M., Abou Hachem, M. and Svensson, B. (2015) Analysis of surface binding sites (SBS) within GH62, GH13 and GH77 . J. Appl. Glycosci., 62, 87-93. DOI: 10.5458/jag.jag.JAG-2015_006
- Wilkens, C., Cuesta-Seijo, J. A., Palcic, M. and Svensson, B. (2014) Selectivity of the surface binding site (SBS) on barley starch synthase I . Biologia, 69, 1118-1121. DOI: 10.2478/s11756-014-0418-0
- Cockburn, D., Wilkens, C., Ruzanski, C., Andersen, S., Willum Nielsen, J., Smith, A.M., Field, R.A., Willemoës, M., Abou Hachem, M., and Svensson B. (2014) Analysis of surface binding sites (SBSs) in carbohydrate active enzymes with focus on glycoside hydrolase families 13 and 77 — a mini-review. Biologia, 69, 705-712. DOI: 10.2478/s11756-014-0373-9
- Wilkens C, Poulsen JC, Ramløv H, and Lo Leggio L. (2014) Purification, crystal structure determination and functional characterization of type III antifreeze proteins from the European eelpout Zoarces viviparus. Cryobiology. 69, 163-8. DOI:10.1016/j.cryobiol.2014.07.003 |
- Møller, M.S., Cockburn, D., Nielsen, J.W., Jensen, J.M., Vester-Christensen, M.B., Nielsen, M.M., Andersen, J.M., Wilkens, C., Rannes, J., Hägglund, P., Henriksen, A., Abou Hachem, M., Willemoës M., and B. Svensson (2013) Surface Binding Sites (SBS), Mechanism and Regulation of 2 Enzymes Degrading Amylopectin and α-limit Dextrins. J. Appl. Glycosci. EPub March 21. DOI: 10.5458/jag.jag.JAG-2012_023
- Kristiansen E, Wilkens C, Vincents B, Friis D, Lorentzen AB, Jenssen H, Løbner-Olesen A, and Ramløv H. (2012) Hyperactive antifreeze proteins from longhorn beetles: some structural insights. J Insect Physiol. 58, 1502-10. DOI:10.1016/j.jinsphys.2012.09.004 |
- Wilkens C and Ramløv H. (2008) Seasonal variations in antifreeze protein activity and haemolymph osmolality in larvae of the beetle Ragium mordax (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae). Cryo Letters. 29, 293-300.