New to the CAZy classification? Read this first.
Want to learn more about CAZypedia? Read the CAZypedia 10th anniversary article in Glycobiology.
Emil G. P. Stender obtained his M.Sc. in biochemistry from University of Copenhagen - Denmark in 2014 and completed his PhD in 2018 at Technical University of Denmark (DTU) under supervision of Birte Svensson and co-supervised by Maher Abou Hachem. The project involved characterization of whey protein-alginate interactions and identification of alginate binding sites on the surface of β-lactoglobulin [1, 2]. He has since been employed as a postdoc at DTU – Bioengineering in a project identifying and characterizing enzymes enabling human gut microbiota to utilize alginate. His main research interests are protein biophysics, Polysaccharide Lyases and alginate modifying enzymes. He published the first structure of an mannuronic acid specific alginate lyase in Polysaccharide Lyase Family 6 from the human gut microbe Bacteroides cellulosilyticus .
- Stender, E. G. P., Birch, J., Kjeldsen, C., Nielsen, L. D., Duus, J. O., Kragelund, B. B., and Svensson, B. (2019) Alginate trisaccharide binding sites on the surface of β-Lactoglobulin identified by NMR spectroscopy: implications for molecular network formation. ACS Omega. 4, 6165–6174
- Stender, E. G. P., Khan, S., Ipsen, R., Madsen, F., Hägglund, P., Abou Hachem, M., Almdal, K., Westh, P., and Svensson, B. (2017) Effect of alginate size, mannuronic/guluronic acid content and pH on particle size, thermodynamics and composition of complexes with β-lactoglobulin. Food Hydrocoll. 75, 157–163
- Stender EGP, Dybdahl Andersen C, Fredslund F, Holck J, Solberg A, Teze D, Peters GHJ, Christensen BE, Aachmann FL, Welner DH, and Svensson B. (2019) Structural and functional aspects of mannuronic acid-specific PL6 alginate lyase from the human gut microbe Bacteroides cellulosilyticus. J Biol Chem. 294, 17915-17930. DOI:10.1074/jbc.RA119.010206 |
- Stender EGP, Koutina G, Almdal K, Hassenkam T, Mackie A, Ipsen R, and Svensson B. (2018) Isoenergic modification of whey protein structure by denaturation and crosslinking using transglutaminase. Food Funct. 9, 797-805. DOI:10.1039/c7fo01451a |
- Stender EG, O'Shea C, and Skriver K. (2015) Subgroup-specific intrinsic disorder profiles of Arabidopsis NAC transcription factors: Identification of functional hotspots. Plant Signal Behav. 10, e1010967. DOI:10.1080/15592324.2015.1010967 |
- O'Shea C, Kryger M, Stender EG, Kragelund BB, Willemoës M, and Skriver K. (2015) Protein intrinsic disorder in Arabidopsis NAC transcription factors: transcriptional activation by ANAC013 and ANAC046 and their interactions with RCD1. Biochem J. 465, 281-94. DOI:10.1042/BJ20141045 |