New to the CAZy classification? Read this first.
Want to learn more about CAZypedia? Read the CAZypedia 10th anniversary article in Glycobiology.
Tomomi Sumida obtained her Ph.D. from the Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Graduate School of Bioresource and Bioenvironmental Sciences, Kyusyu University, under the supervision of Professor Makoto Ito in 2010. She isolated the ganglioside–degrading bacterium Paenibacillus sp. strain TS12 from land soil in her doctoral research . Strain TS12 produces a series of glycosphingolipid-degrading enzymes, such as sialidase, β-galactosidase, β-hexosaminidase, β-N-acetylgalactosaminidase, and β-glucocerebrosidase. She has reported the molecular cloning, characterization, and structural analysis of these novel glycosphingolipid-degrading enzymes, as follows:
- GH3 β-glucocerebrosidase (Glc4) from Paenibacillus sp. TS12 .
- GH20 β-hexosaminidase (Hex1) from Paenibacillus sp. TS12 [3, 4].
- GH123 β-N-acetylgalactosaminidase (NgaP) from Paenibacillus sp. TS12 .
NgaP, which specifically hydrolyzes the non-reducing terminal β-GalNAc linkage but not β-GlcNAc linkage, is the first β-N-acetylgalactosaminidase (EC 220.127.116.11) to have its primary structure elucidated. Since the primary structure of NgaP is totally new, GH123 was created as a new family of β-N-acetylgalactosaminidases in 2011.
- Sumida T, Sueyoshi N, and Ito M. (2002) Utilization of ganglioside-degrading Paenibacillus sp. strain TS12 for production of glucosylceramide. Appl Environ Microbiol. 68, 5241-8.
- Sumida T, Sueyoshi N, and Ito M. (2002) Molecular cloning and characterization of a novel glucocerebrosidase of Paenibacillus sp. TS12. J Biochem. 132, 237-43.
- Sumida T, Ishii R, Yanagisawa T, Yokoyama S, and Ito M. (2009) Molecular cloning and crystal structural analysis of a novel beta-N-acetylhexosaminidase from Paenibacillus sp. TS12 capable of degrading glycosphingolipids. J Mol Biol. 392, 87-99. DOI:10.1016/j.jmb.2009.06.025 |
- Sumida T, Stubbs KA, Ito M, and Yokoyama S. (2012) Gaining insight into the inhibition of glycoside hydrolase family 20 exo-β-N-acetylhexosaminidases using a structural approach. Org Biomol Chem. 10, 2607-12. DOI:10.1039/c2ob06636j |
- Sumida T, Fujimoto K, and Ito M. (2011) Molecular cloning and catalytic mechanism of a novel glycosphingolipid-degrading beta-N-acetylgalactosaminidase from Paenibacillus sp. TS12. J Biol Chem. 286, 14065-72. DOI:10.1074/jbc.M110.182592 |