CAZypedia needs your help! We have many unassigned GH, PL, CE, AA, GT, and CBM pages in need of Authors and Responsible Curators.
Scientists at all career stages, including students, are welcome to contribute to CAZypedia. Read more here, and in the 10th anniversary article in Glycobiology.
New to the CAZy classification? Read this first.
Consider attending the 15th Carbohydrate Bioengineering Meeting in Ghent, 5-8 May 2023.
Yaoguang Chang obtained his Ph.D. degree from the Ocean University of China and was a visiting scholar at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. At present, he is a professor at the College of Food Science and Engineering, Ocean University of China. His research interests involve the gene-mining and characterization of CAZymes and carbohydrate-binding modules from marine polysaccharides. By utilizing the enzymes and binding proteins as critical tools, novel identification, quantification, and modification methods of marine polysaccharides were established, which would consequently facilitate the development and application of promising functional polysaccharides from the ocean. His research group discovered the first member of GH168, GH174, and CBM92 families, and contributed to the studies related to members of the following families:
- GH16: κ-carrageenase Cgk16A , βκ-carrageenase Cgbk16A_Wf , β-porphyranase Por16A_Wf , and β-porphyranase Por16C_Wf 
- GH29: fucosidase Alf1_Wf 
- GH82: ι-carrageenase Cgi82A 
- GH86: β-agarase Aga86A_Wa [7, 8]
- GH168: endo-1,3-fucanase Fun168A 
- GH174: endo-1,3-fucanase Fun174A 
- PL7: alginate lyase Aly7B_Wf 
- CBM16: ABP_Wf (alginate-binding CBM) 
- CBM47: WfCBM47 (sulfated fucan-binding CBM) 
- CBM70: SrCBM70 (hyaluronic acid-binding CBM) 
- CBM92: Cgk16A-CBM92 (carrageenan-binding CBM) 
- CBMnc: Fun174A-CBM (sulfated fucan-binding CBM) 
Some of the above biotechnological tools have been successfully integrated with glycomics [17, 18], lateral flow immunoassay , and other techniques, and served in the structural and chemical investigation of marine polysaccharides. And some enzymes have been employed to produce low molecular weight polysaccharides and oligosaccharides with verified bioactivities [19, 20].
- Shen J, Chang Y, Chen F, and Dong S. (2018). Expression and characterization of a κ-carrageenase from marine bacterium Wenyingzhuangia aestuarii OF219: A biotechnological tool for the depolymerization of κ-carrageenan. Int J Biol Macromol. 2018;112:93-100. DOI:10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2018.01.075 |
- Cao S, Zhang Y, Chen G, Shen J, Han J, Chang Y, Xiao H, and Xue C. (2021). Cloning, Heterologous Expression, and Characterization of a βκ-Carrageenase From Marine Bacterium Wenyingzhuangia funcanilytica: A Specific Enzyme for the Hybrid Carrageenan-Furcellaran. Front Microbiol. 2021;12:697218. DOI:10.3389/fmicb.2021.697218 |
- Zhang Y, Chang Y, Shen J, and Xue C. (2019). Expression and Characterization of a Novel β-Porphyranase from Marine Bacterium Wenyingzhuangia fucanilytica: A Biotechnological Tool for Degrading Porphyran. J Agric Food Chem. 2019;67(33):9307-9313. DOI:10.1021/acs.jafc.9b02941 |
- Zhang Y, Chang Y, Shen J, Mei X, and Xue C. (2020). Characterization of a Novel Porphyranase Accommodating Methyl-galactoses at Its Subsites. J Agric Food Chem. 2020;68(26):7032-7039. DOI:10.1021/acs.jafc.0c02404 |
- Dong S, Chang Y, Shen J, Xue C, and Chen F. (2017). Purification, expression and characterization of a novel α-l-fucosidase from a marine bacteria Wenyingzhuangia fucanilytica. Protein Expr Purif. 2017;129:9-17. DOI:10.1016/j.pep.2016.08.016 |
- Shen J, Chang Y, Dong S, and Chen F. (2017). Cloning, expression and characterization of a ι-carrageenase from marine bacterium Wenyingzhuangia fucanilytica: A biocatalyst for producing ι-carrageenan oligosaccharides. J Biotechnol. 2017;259:103-109. DOI:10.1016/j.jbiotec.2017.07.034 |
- Cao S, Shen J, Zhang Y, Chang Y, and Xue C. (2020). Expression and Characterization of a Methylated Galactose-Accommodating GH86 β-Agarase from a Marine Bacterium. J Agric Food Chem. 2020;68(29):7678-7683. DOI:10.1021/acs.jafc.0c02672 |
- Zhang Y, Dong S, Chen G, Cao S, Shen J, Mei X, Cui Q, Feng Y, Chang Y, Wang Y, and Xue C. (2023). Structural characterization on a β-agarase Aga86A_Wa from Wenyingzhuangia aestuarii reveals the prevalent methyl-galactose accommodation capacity of GH86 enzymes at subsite -1. Carbohydr Polym. 2023;306:120594. DOI:10.1016/j.carbpol.2023.120594 |
- Shen J, Chang Y, Zhang Y, Mei X, and Xue C. (2020). Discovery and Characterization of an Endo-1,3-Fucanase From Marine Bacterium Wenyingzhuangia fucanilytica: A Novel Glycoside Hydrolase Family. Front Microbiol. 2020;11:1674. DOI:10.3389/fmicb.2020.01674 |
- Liu G, Shen J, Chang Y, Mei X, Chen G, Zhang Y, and Xue C. (2023). Characterization of an endo-1,3-fucanase from marine bacterium Wenyingzhuangia aestuarii: The first member of a novel glycoside hydrolase family GH174. Carbohydr Polym. 2023;306:120591. DOI:10.1016/j.carbpol.2023.120591 |
- Pei X, Chang Y, and Shen J. (2019). Cloning, expression and characterization of an endo-acting bifunctional alginate lyase of marine bacterium Wenyingzhuangia fucanilytica. Protein Expr Purif. 2019;154:44-51. DOI:10.1016/j.pep.2018.09.010 |
- Mei X, Chang Y, Shen J, Zhang Y, and Xue C. (2020). Expression and characterization of a novel alginate-binding protein: A promising tool for investigating alginate. Carbohydr Polym. 2020;246:116645. DOI:10.1016/j.carbpol.2020.116645 |
- Mei X, Liu G, Shen J, Chen G, Zhang Y, Xue C, and Chang Y. (2023). Discovery of a sulfated fucan-specific carbohydrate-binding module: The first member of a new carbohydrate-binding module family. Int J Biol Macromol. 2023;238:124037. DOI:10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2023.124037 |
- Chen G, Yu L, Zhang Y, Chang Y, Liu Y, Shen J, and Xue C. (2021). Utilizing heterologously overexpressed endo-1,3-fucanase to investigate the structure of sulfated fucan from sea cucumber (Holothuria hilla). Carbohydr Polym. 2021;272:118480. DOI:10.1016/j.carbpol.2021.118480 |
- Chen G, Shen J, Zhang Y, Shi F, Mei X, Xue C, and Chang Y. (2023). Sulfated fucan could serve as a species marker of sea cucumber with endo-1,3-fucanase as the essential tool. Carbohydr Polym. 2023;312:120817. DOI:10.1016/j.carbpol.2023.120817 |
- Cheng X, Jiang J, Li C, Xue C, Kong B, Chang Y, and Tang Q. (2022). The compound enzymatic hydrolysate of Neoporphyra haitanensis improved hyperglycemia and regulated the gut microbiome in high-fat diet-fed mice. Food Funct. 2022;13(12):6777-6791. DOI:10.1039/d2fo00055e |
- Li Y, Tian Y, Cai W, Wang Q, Chang Y, Sun Y, Dong P, and Wang J. (2021). Novel ι-Carrageenan Tetrasaccharide Alleviates Liver Lipid Accumulation via the Bile Acid-FXR-SHP/PXR Pathway to Regulate Cholesterol Conversion and Fatty Acid Metabolism in Insulin-Resistant Mice. J Agric Food Chem. 2021;69(34):9813-9821. DOI:10.1021/acs.jafc.1c04035 |
- Mei X, Chang Y, Shen J, Zhang Y, Chen G, Liu Y, and Xue C. (2022). Characterization of a sulfated fucan-specific carbohydrate-binding module: A promising tool for investigating sulfated fucans. Carbohydr Polym. 2022;277:118748. DOI:10.1016/j.carbpol.2021.118748 |
- Mei X, Sun M, Zhang Y, Shen J, Li J, Xue C, and Chang Y. (2022). Establishment of a carbohydrate binding module-based lateral flow immunoassay method for identifying hyaluronic acid. Int J Biol Macromol. 2022;223(Pt A):1180-1185. DOI:10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2022.11.122 |
- Mei X, Chang Y, Shen J, Zhang Y, Han J, and Xue C. (2022). Characterization of a Novel Carrageenan-Specific Carbohydrate-Binding Module: a Promising Tool for the In Situ Investigation of Carrageenan. J Agric Food Chem. 2022;70(29):9066-9072. DOI:10.1021/acs.jafc.2c03139 |