New to the CAZy classification? Read this first.
Want to learn more about CAZypedia? Read the CAZypedia 10th anniversary article in Glycobiology.
Glyn Hemsworth obtained his B.Sc. in Biochemistry from the University of Sheffield where he stayed on to complete his PhD under the supervision of Prof. Peter Artymiuk, primarily focussing on the structural characterisation of an unusual Flap Endonuclease homologue from Escherichia coli. In 2009 he moved to the Structural Biology Laboratory at the University of York where he initially worked on dUTPases from Trypanosoma and Leishmania species with Prof Keith Wilson. In 2012 he moved into the carbohydrate field taking up a post-doctoral position with Prof Gideon Davies where his major contributions have been in the structural and functional characterisation of lytic polysaccharide mono-oxygenases (LPMOs)  in families AA10 and AA11, with additional contributions to characterisation of AA13 as well. During his time in York he also contributed to the structural determination of several Glycoside Hydrolases from the human gut symbiont Bacteroides ovatus. He is now a BBSRC David Phillips and University Academic Fellow at the University of Leeds where his research is focussed on the discovery and characterisation of novel proteins that may play roles in the oxidative degradation of biomass. He has determined the crystal structures of
- AA10 from Bacillus amyloliquefaciens 
- AA11 from Aspergillus oryzae 
- GH5 from Bacteroides ovatus 
- GH3A from Bacteroides ovatus 
- GH43B from Bacteroides ovatus 
- GH16 from Bacteroides ovatus 
- Hemsworth GR, Davies GJ, and Walton PH. (2013) Recent insights into copper-containing lytic polysaccharide mono-oxygenases. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 23, 660-8. DOI:10.1016/j.sbi.2013.05.006 |
- Hemsworth GR, Taylor EJ, Kim RQ, Gregory RC, Lewis SJ, Turkenburg JP, Parkin A, Davies GJ, and Walton PH. (2013) The copper active site of CBM33 polysaccharide oxygenases. J Am Chem Soc. 135, 6069-77. DOI:10.1021/ja402106e |
- Hemsworth GR, Henrissat B, Davies GJ, and Walton PH. (2014) Discovery and characterization of a new family of lytic polysaccharide monooxygenases. Nat Chem Biol. 10, 122-6. DOI:10.1038/nchembio.1417 |
- Larsbrink J, Rogers TE, Hemsworth GR, McKee LS, Tauzin AS, Spadiut O, Klinter S, Pudlo NA, Urs K, Koropatkin NM, Creagh AL, Haynes CA, Kelly AG, Cederholm SN, Davies GJ, Martens EC, and Brumer H. (2014) A discrete genetic locus confers xyloglucan metabolism in select human gut Bacteroidetes. Nature. 506, 498-502. DOI:10.1038/nature12907 |
- Hemsworth GR, Thompson AJ, Stepper J, Sobala ŁF, Coyle T, Larsbrink J, Spadiut O, Goddard-Borger ED, Stubbs KA, Brumer H, and Davies GJ. (2016) Structural dissection of a complex Bacteroides ovatus gene locus conferring xyloglucan metabolism in the human gut. Open Biol. 6. DOI:10.1098/rsob.160142 |
- Tamura K, Hemsworth GR, Déjean G, Rogers TE, Pudlo NA, Urs K, Jain N, Davies GJ, Martens EC, and Brumer H. (2017) Molecular Mechanism by which Prominent Human Gut Bacteroidetes Utilize Mixed-Linkage Beta-Glucans, Major Health-Promoting Cereal Polysaccharides. Cell Rep. 21, 417-430. DOI:10.1016/j.celrep.2017.09.049 |